Pond Heating ?
There is much debate as to whether Koi hibernate in the winter. There are those that would have you believe that this is a natural state and quite healthy for your fish, while others would say this causes undo stress.
Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, there are some important facts to consider.
- When Koi ponds ice over, harmful gasses from decaying plants, algae and fish waste cannot dissipate.
- Heating a Koi pond helps greatly reduce stress on your stock.
- Providing heat will assist your Koi’s immune system.
- Your biological filtration will continue and avoid a start-up in the spring.
- You can continue the feeding of your Koi to maintain good nutrition.
- You can protect your investment, by minimizing loss.